cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Min Chen <min.c...@citrix.com>
Subject [DIscuss]Storage image store plugin framework refactoring
Date Mon, 08 Apr 2013 23:45:23 GMT
Hi All,

Currently CloudStack does not offer a flexible pluggable framework for users to easily integrate
and configure any 3rd-party object stores for such backup services as registering templates,
taking snapshots, etc. Along with Edison's recent refactored storage subsystem 2.0 that mainly
refactored current CloudStack primary storage implementation,  we are proposing to develop
a storage backup object store plugin framework to allow CloudStack to systematically manage
and configure various types of backup data stores from different vendors, like NFS, S3, Swift,
etc. With this new plugin framework, we would like to achieve following functionalities:
1. Support different object store providers in a uniform and pluggable fashion.
2. Enable region wide object backup using S3-like object store.
3. Provide pluggable data motion strategies to handle data transfer from one data store to
another data store.
4. Provide a scalable cache storage framework while moving data between primary storage and
backup storage for certain hypervisor needs.
5. Support flexible combinations of primary storage, secondary storage and hypervisors, such
as (NFS, NFS, Xen), (NF3, S3, Vmware), (ISCSI, Swift, KVM), …., etc.
The proposed ImageStore plugin framework architecture is detailed in our FS here: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Storage+Backup+Object+Store+Plugin+Framework.
The JIRA ticket to track this feature is: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-1975.
The work is currently carried out in feature branch  "object_store".
Please let me know your comments and suggestions.

Thanks
-min