cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Grudzien <grudz...@gmail.com>
Subject Network architecture question
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 05:28:43 GMT
My team has been working for three weeks with CloudStack architecture design and we are struggling
to put together a network architecture that we feel will scale. From everything I can tell,
CloudStack requires a a very large layer 2 network when using shared guest networks. We are
looking to deploy almost a thousand physical hosts across 25 cabinets with over 4000 VMs in
the next 18 months and having a broadcast domain this large feels problematic.

How have others solved this problem? I don't have a need or a desire for isolation and even
if I had 100 guest networks I would still have to tag their VLANs into every host port. There
doesn't seem to be a way to tie a network to anything smaller than a zone.

One solution we are looking into is Cisco's 1000v and utilizing VXLANs. This will allow us
scale down the broadcast domains. I don't think CloudStack has support in configuring their
VXLAN settings? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Justin