cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Alejandro Z. Tomsic" <aletom...@gmail.com>
Subject how is failure detection achieved in cloudstack?
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 11:45:24 GMT
I would like to know how the process of failure detection is achieved in
cloudStack (if any). I would like to know about the implementation details,
i.e. if its done at physical, virtual machine or at application level. Does
cloudStack use any known failure detection mechanisms? e.g. [1][2][3][4] or
any other. Where can I find this information?

Thank you in advance.

Alejandro

[1] M.Bertier,O.Marin,andP.Sens.Implementation and performance evaluation
of an adaptable failure detector. In International Conference on Dependable
Systems and Networks (DSN), pages 354–363, June 2002.

[2] W. Chen, S. Toueg, and M. K. Aguilera. On the quality of service of
failure detectors. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 51(5):561–580, May 2002.

[3] N. Hayashibara, X. De ́fago, R. Yared, and T. Katayama. The φ accrual
failure detector. In IEEE Symposium on Reliable Distributed Systems (SRDS),
pages 66–78, Oct. 2004.

[4] Joshua B. Leners, Hao Wu, Wei-Lun Hung, Marcos K. Aguilera, and Michael
Walfish. 2011. Detecting failures in distributed systems with the Falcon
spy network. In Proceedings of the Twenty-Third ACM Symposium on Operating
Systems Principles (SOSP '11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 279-294.