cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging
Date Wed, 03 Apr 2013 00:23:55 GMT
On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:53 PM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
> So let me start off with I agree in principle with what Noah is talking about here.
Cookie licking is an anti-pattern that we should reject as a community.  However, I disagree
the solution or even what is perceived as cookie licking.

> We established a while ago as a community that we follow a Jira workflow in handling
bugs.  In that process, a bug is Open until it goes to "In Progress".  We can simply tweak
our expectations on this workflow to achieve exactly the desired effects.

> - Assign bugs does not mean you own it, even if you assign it to yourself doesn't mean
you own it.
> - No one owns a bug until the person assigned changed it to In Progress (not licked til
this stage)
> - Before a bug goes into In Progress, anyone can grab it.
>
> By doing this we allow people who can help in prioritizing the bugs to assign bugs without
going through another layer of negotiation.  Assigning bugs merely means asking the question
"can you work on it".  This would be much more efficient way of doing things.

> I also think that we can setup public filters that people can use to find bugs they can
work on.  In the filter, it doesn't look at who the bug is assigned to.  Just whether the
bug is open or not.

> --Alex

I understand the reasoning - but for a newcomer looking to get
involved, I think 'assigning' a bug - whether by default, or otherwise
can be construed as excluding newcomers and no room for them to get
involved, so I think it warrants caution at a minimum.

Our 'if not 'in progress' anyone can grab it' does not seem to be the
norm for open source projects.

I also wonder if it makes a difference. Perhaps it does. In other
projects I've been involved in, when I care about releases or just the
project, I tend to watch the categories of bugs that I can fix,
particularly the unassigned items. Does having a backlog of work
assigned to me (as opposed to checking a component in Jira for
outstanding work) improve things somehow? I don't know, perhaps it
does and there is something I am missing.

I do think triaging is important - there are simply too many bugs to
not have some ongoing triage, make sure the proper component,
severity, etc is set, perhaps even doing some initial prompting for
enough information.

--David