cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Justin Grudzien <grudz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Network architecture question
Date Wed, 10 Apr 2013 13:43:00 GMT
I looked at Security groups and I am not sure how this solves my problems. Sure it provides
guest isolation but that is through the virtual router correct? The underlying physical network
--outside of cloudstack-- is still layer 2? That is what I am concerned with. When defining
what IPs my guests sit on CloudStack assumes that those are available, or tagged, on every
host in my zone. If I have every host tagged with the guest network then broadcast packets,
like ARP, will hit every box, regardless of whether a VM runs on it at all. My network engineers
are worried that any kind of broadcast storm, or spanning tree loop, could take the whole
cloud down. Does this make sense or am I still missing something?

What we are looking at is creating a zone per physical rack of servers implementing the shared
network offering. This allows my underlying network to be layer 3 between cabinets and limits
my layer 2 guest traffic to far less servers. Between cabinets I will use routing for VMs
to talk to each other. The problems this introduces is that CloudStack doesn't let me mount
the same secondary storage for images so I have to replicate that data. It would be nice to
be able to mount the images across all zones but leave the snapshots local to the zone.

We have been intensively building and rebuilding CloudStack for the last three weeks and nowhere
have I seen the ability to pin a guest subnet to a rack (pod) of servers. This is what suggests
that the guest networks must be tagged on all physical host ports and why I am concerned about
the large layer 2 domain.

Sorry this was long winded some of these concepts are difficult I convey over email.

Justin

Sent from my iPhone