cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Animesh Chaturvedi <animesh.chaturv...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] ACS Release 4 month v/s 6 month
Date Fri, 26 Apr 2013 00:02:05 GMT
Let me attempt to summarize this thread, if I missed any glaring points feel free to bring
them up

4 months:
Proponents (9): Chip, Alex, David, Noah, Hugo, Joe,  Sebastian, Prasanna, Rohit
Reasoning:
*	We have not given proper shot to 4 month cycle, this was just the first time. Level of automation
has increased between 4.0 to 4.1 which lays groundwork for better automation
*	Longer feature cycle will mean more features and bigger and more complex release
*	Faster feedback loop to respond and address problems and shorter wait time for feature delivery

6 months:
Proponents (12): Will, Animesh, Edison, Frank, Min, Ilya, Kelven, Edison, Sudha, Radhika,
Nitin, Mice
Reasoning:
*	ACS currently has heavy reliance  on manual testing and majority of QA comes from 1 company.
Shorter release cycle puts more dependence on  timely availability of QA to keep up to quality
goals
*	ACS release is expected to be of good quality and support upgrades. Longer QA cycle will
mean more soak time and better quality.
*	Less overhead on release fixed cost work (release notes, generating release artifacts)
*	Longer cycles also provides more flexibility in schedule for individuals in defect fixing

I still see there is difference of opinion and not a clear consensus with 12 out of 21 ( approx.
60%) preferring 6 months.  But going by the argument of not having given proper shot to 4
month cycle I will say we can keep 4.2 as a 4 month cycle and pull in all effort to make it
successful.  If it turns out that we can work with 4 month schedule that's well and good otherwise
we can bring this topic again based on the results of running 4 month cycle.

If there is no objection I will proceed with creating 4.2 release page, dashboards etc. on
Monday

Thanks
Animesh