cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Abhinav Roy <abhinav....@citrix.com>
Subject [Discuss] UI for the Dedicated VLANs per Tenant
Date Fri, 19 Apr 2013 19:58:00 GMT
Hi,

I am doing the QA for the feature Dedicated VLANs per Tenant and I had some queries about
what kind of UI will be there for this feature.

In the current implementation after introduction of Non-contiguous VLANs we have the following
:

1.       If there is an existing VLAN range IP1 - IP10, and we want to add another range IP10
- IP20 or IP5 - IP20, then the existing range will be extended to IP1 - IP20,

2.       But if we add a VLAN range which is not overlapping like IP25 - IP30 then a new range
gets added.

But for Dedicated VLANs pee tenant we need to dedicate different VLAN ranges to different
accounts and we need not necessarily expand the range because we may need to dedicate them
to different accounts. Like ,

1.       There is an existing range IP1 - IP10 which is dedicated to account A1 but  if I
add another range IP10 - IP20 with the intent of dedicating it to another account A2 but in
the current implementation  the existing range will be expanded and as per my understanding
it will still be dedicated to A1.

So, I was just curious to know why can't we have the same kind of UI which we have for Public
IP addresses for VLANs too?

1.       There we can have multiple ranges , contiguous or non-contiguous added as per need.

2.       We can dedicate those ranges to accounts as per need and if an account needs more
than one range or expansion of  the range then we can dedicate those ranges separately to
that account and hence it will serve both our purpose.

I just wanted an insight on the kind of UI we are going to have for dedicated vlans and these
things came to my mind. Please help me clarify my doubts.

Thanks and regards,
Abhinav