cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Will Chan <will.c...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Don't assign tickets to people when triaging
Date Tue, 02 Apr 2013 21:21:36 GMT
I think the purpose of this discussion is that there are people currently today that are auto-assigning
bugs to individual developers of the community.  Most of these bugs were assigned for two
main reasons.

1. It was blatantly obvious the bugs stemmed from the feature developer.

- OR -

2. The bugs were deemed a blocker either by the community, release manager, or someone that
knows about the issue.

Both of these cases were done partly because of their $dayjobs leaking into community.  It
simply looks like there are hidden agendas when these triaging were happening.  I think there
are obviously ways we can get around but to me, it's a burdensome process especially when
JIRA is a tool that helps our community in organizing our work and priorities rather than
using the dev@ list.

The second point is that by assigning these bugs, we are effectively pushing out anyone that
wants to contribute.  But as Sebastian has already done some legwork, the majority of the
bugs are in Unassigned state.  If someone wants to contribute, there are hundreds of bugs
to participate in.  Just go grab one.

Everyone has probably something they are doing besides reading the ML every day or doing a
search on JIRA.  By assigning a bug on JIRA, that person gets notified.  He can always decline
to fix it but at least a notification has been sent.  I think for the most serious of bugs
or blocker bugs, anyone in the community should be able to help with the triage process.
If not for the very least, it helps in notifying the developer and effectively pinging the
person if they can help assist with the bug or not.

All I am proposing is a more efficient way of dealing with serious blocker issues.  We can
end up losing days of work if we have to wait sometimes.  I think there are plenty of developers
that want to help in some way, otherwise, why bother to be on the dev list.  However, I do
know that I cannot search JIRA everyday nor can I read every thread that happens here.  Someone
pinging me via JIRA notifications seems like a decent way to be notified.  I can always decline
to fix the bug.

What do you guys think?  Am I the only that wants to make things more efficient here?

Will