cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject [Discuss] - Domain admin not having the flexibility to create sub-domains/sub-child domains/accounts
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:22:16 GMT
Hi,

Currently only the ROOT-admin has the power to create any domains/sub-domains/sub-child domains
for himself or the domain-admin . But there are certain situations ( like updating resource
limit for a sub-child domain under a domain admin ) for which the ROOT-admin has to create
a sub-child domain for a domain admin to allow him to update the resource limits for that
particular sub-child domain.

With this in mind , why hasn't the domain -admin been given the privilege of creating sub-child
domains himself ? Are there any concerns/threats because of which the current architecture
doesn't serve this purpose ?

Also , a domain-admin cannot create an account on his own using an API as well ( UI can be
overlooked for now) . He has to go through the ROOT-admin to have this functionality enabled
. So doesn't that conclude that domain-admin is almost a USELESS guy with *No powers*  . To
be able to navigate from step 1 - > step  2 , you have to go through step 3 which seems
to be unconvincing at times .

Could someone explain about why such a functionality is not supported in the current architecture
? Please let me know in case I am missing something here.

Thanks,
Pranav