cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ACS41] Blocker and critical issues stopping me from spinning out a new RC for 4.1
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2013 17:45:41 GMT
On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 10:32:15AM -0700, Min Chen wrote:
> Totally agree.
>
> Chip and others, Prasanna and I exchanged ideas about CLOUDSTACK--2126,
> and we both agree that we should only return async job Id and job status
> in queryAsyncJob and listAsyncJob commands, not in any other APIs so that
> we can have consistent response return in various scenarios.  If we fix
> this way, the behavior for listXXX api is changed. In 4.0, CloudStack has
> used ApiServer.buildAsyncListResponse() routine to fill in async job Id
> and status for all listXXX Apis.  With the proposed fix, we will not show
> async job information in listXXX response as well. Not sure if anybody see
> any side effect on this slight change from 4.0? Anybody know the reason
> why we had that special code in 4.0 to return async job for listXXX api?
> Since the proposed change will affect all newly created db view in 4.1, we
> suggest that this can be fixed in 4.2 since current behavior is not
> breaking functionalities, just return more information. Any thoughts?

I went backwards in history and this seems to have existed from eons
ago when Will was still writing code. :)

If he remembers the reason - great!

~/workspace/cloudstack/incubator-cloudstack(branch:4.0*) » find . -name ApiServer.java
./server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiServer.java

~/workspace/cloudstack/incubator-cloudstack(branch:4.0*) » git blame 303e2a74^ ./server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiServer.java
~/workspace/cloudstack/incubator-cloudstack(branch:4.0*) » git blame 633d024b^ ./server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiServer.java
~/workspace/cloudstack/incubator-cloudstack(branch:4.0*) » git blame c7e120a7^ ./server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiServer.java
~/workspace/cloudstack/incubator-cloudstack(branch:4.0*) » git blame 52e6e4d0^ ./server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiServer.java
~/workspace/cloudstack/incubator-cloudstack(branch:4.0*) » git blame c67d26ce^ ./server/src/com/cloud/api/ApiServer.java

commit c67d26cec4edb16d54b319e80f73034bda5f4c87
Author: will <will@cloud.com>
Date:   Tue Nov 30 19:11:55 2010 -0800

    bug 6969: First step of now displaying pending async jobs for
listXXXCommands.  There is a lot more cleanup and fixing to do but all commands
acting against VirtualMachines now work.

--
Prasanna.,