cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [Discuss] - Domain admin not having the flexibility to create sub-domains/sub-child domains/accounts
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:47:01 GMT
On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 11:22:16AM +0000, Pranav Saxena wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Currently only the ROOT-admin has the power to create any domains/sub-domains/sub-child
domains for himself or the domain-admin . But there are certain situations ( like updating
resource limit for a sub-child domain under a domain admin ) for which the ROOT-admin has
to create a sub-child domain for a domain admin to allow him to update the resource limits
for that particular sub-child domain.

> With this in mind , why hasn't the domain -admin been given the privilege of creating
sub-child domains himself ? Are there any concerns/threats because of which the current architecture
doesn't serve this purpose ?

> Also , a domain-admin cannot create an account on his own using an API as well ( UI can
be overlooked for now) . He has to go through the ROOT-admin to have this functionality enabled
. So doesn't that conclude that domain-admin is almost a USELESS guy with *No powers*  . To
be able to navigate from step 1 - > step  2 , you have to go through step 3 which seems
to be unconvincing at times .

> Could someone explain about why such a functionality is not supported in the current
architecture ? Please let me know in case I am missing something here.

> Thanks,
> Pranav

This never made much sense to me.