cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Sateesh Chodapuneedi" <sateesh.chodapune...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Review Request: Documentation changes for VMware dvSwitch and Nexus dvSwitch
Date Thu, 18 Apr 2013 17:52:40 GMT


> On April 10, 2013, 7:42 a.m., Sateesh Chodapuneedi wrote:
> > Section 8.3.7.5 Removing Nexus Virtual Switch is specifying steps to delete VMware
dvSwitch. This is not correct. There is no notion of deletion of VMware dvSwitch (please refer
to FS for the feature) in CloudStack. Please remove section completely.
> > In page 109,  replace 'configuring' by 'orchestration of in the line "CloudStack
supports configuring virtual networks in a deployment with...."
> > In page 110, against the table entry "vCenter Host" - description should be vCenter
host/ip. Presence of Nexus virtual switch is irrelevant for the vCenter here.
> > In page 110, against the table entry "Guest Traffic vSwitch Name" - description
should be "Name of virtual switch to be used for guest traffic"
> > In page 110, against the table entry "Public Traffic vSwitch Name" - description
should be "Name of virtual switch to be used for public traffic"
> > In page 109, use Distributed Virtual Switch instead of "Virtual Distributed Switch"
> > In page 109, instead of 'Nexus 1000v Virtual Switch' better to write 'Nexus 1000v
Distributed Virtual Switch'
> > Add cluster parameters documented in page 62, is fine, reviewed.
> > As mentioned in FS, pre-requisites is to pre-provision dvSwitch in datacenter that
is containing cluster being managed by cloudstack.
> > 
> >
> 
> Radhika PC wrote:
>     Is pre-provisioning the dvSwitch in the datacenter is the only prerequisite? do we
have to note down any parameters, that could be later used in CloudStack ? Please confirm.
> 
> Radhika PC wrote:
>     The FS listed the following:
>     
>     CloudStack does following,
>     Create dvPortGroup over designated dvSwitch - How ? 
>     Modify dvPortGroup over designated dvSwitch -How?
>     Delete dvPortGroup over designated dvSwitch - How ? Is deleting/creating/modifying
dvPortGroup similar to deleting dvSwitch ? Could you please clarify.
> 
> Radhika PC wrote:
>     FS states:
>     
>     Deployment requirements (fresh install vs. upgrade) if any
>     
>     VMware dvSwitch must be already created/configured in the vCenter datacenter deployment
(understood!)
>     
>     All the host/cluster resources should be added to dvSwitch before adding the cluster
to CloudStack's pod cluster. (it is not clear this step need to be done on vCenter or CloudStack).
It is very difficult to document such a complex feature without a setup.
> 
> Radhika PC wrote:
>     FS states:
>     
>     Explain performance & scalability implications when feature is used from small
scale to large scale
>     In case of vSphere 4.1 dvPortGroup need to be created with specific number of dvPorts.
In large scale deployment optimum use of dvPorts may not be possible due to this pre-allocation.
In case of vSphere 5.0 the autoexpand feature helps in auto increment of number of dvPorts.
(what is the specific number here ?)
>     
>     Network switches (including the vSwitch in ESXi host) keep a distinct forwarding
table for each VLAN; this could lead to an increased overhead in packet forwarding when a
considerable number of isolated networks, each one with a significant number of virtual machines,
is configured in a data center. (Is this a limitation? should it be mentioned?) please clarify
> 
> Radhika PC wrote:
>     The comments states:
>     
>     In page 110, against the table entry "Guest Traffic vSwitch Name" - description should
be "Name of virtual switch to be used for guest traffic"
>     In page 110, against the table entry "Public Traffic vSwitch Name" - description
should be "Name of virtual switch to be used for public traffic"
>     
>     Question: From where do you pick up/ specify a name for the traffic ? Is this something
that we get from vCenter setup ? Or are we saying to mention what type of switch to be used
?
> 
> Radhika PC wrote:
>     Comment states:
>     
>     In page 109, use Distributed Virtual Switch instead of "Virtual Distributed Switch"
>     
>     But in VMware terms it is "VMware vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS)" see  see http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/tag/distributed-switch
>     
>     Shouldn't be we following similar terminology ?

>do we have to note down any parameters, that could be later used in CloudStack ? Please
confirm.
User might want to specify name of dvSwitch in following places,
1) traffic label in physical network page of zone configuration wizard - This setting dictates
name of vSwitch/dvSwitch to be used for virtual network orchestration later.
2) public/guest virtual switch na,e - This setting overrides the vSwitch/dvSwitch name in
zone level configuration setting for traffic label. See (1) above.

>Is deleting/creating/modifying dvPortGroup similar to deleting dvSwitch ? Could you please
clarify.
No.

>All the host/cluster resources should be added to dvSwitch before adding the cluster to
CloudStack's pod cluster. (it is not clear this step need to be done on vCenter or CloudStack).
It is very difficult to document such a complex feature without a setup.
This step is to be done on vCenter. Its part of dvSwitch deployment & out of CloudStack's
scope.
Complete documentation of feature like this should be done after with a setup. Otherwise,
first draft can be made with content from FS & improve the document once setup is available
or handover the documentation task to interested people with setup. Content in FS is good
enough to start with because FS contains all key details which are implemented in the feature.

>(what is the specific number here ?)
It's fixed number of dvports which is any where from 1 to maximum number of dvports allowed
by a dvportgroup.

>(Is this a limitation? should it be mentioned?) 
No.

>Question: From where do you pick up/ specify a name for the traffic ? Is this something
that we get from vCenter setup ? Or are we saying to mention what type of switch to be used
?
Its name of dvSwitch. Can be observed in vCenter setup.

Yes, good to follow terminology from http://blogs.vmware.com/vsphere/tag/distributed-switch


- Sateesh


-----------------------------------------------------------
This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
https://reviews.apache.org/r/10366/#review18935
-----------------------------------------------------------


On April 10, 2013, 7:05 a.m., Radhika PC wrote:
> 
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> This is an automatically generated e-mail. To reply, visit:
> https://reviews.apache.org/r/10366/
> -----------------------------------------------------------
> 
> (Updated April 10, 2013, 7:05 a.m.)
> 
> 
> Review request for cloudstack, David Nalley, Chip Childers, Jessica Tomechak, Pranav
Saxena, Sateesh Chodapuneedi, and ilya musayev.
> 
> 
> Description
> -------
> 
> Documentation on Distributed Switches: nexus and dvSwitch.
> Prerequisites part of VMware dvSwitch is still unclear. Please provide necessary suggestions.
> 
> 
> This addresses bug CLOUDSTACK-772.
> 
> 
> Diffs
> -----
> 
>   docs/en-US/Book_Info.xml c125ab8 
>   docs/en-US/add-clusters-vsphere.xml 6b2dff2 
>   docs/en-US/images/add-cluster.png 383f375ebedd62d9b294a56f777ed4b8c0d92e10 
>   docs/en-US/images/dvswitch-config.png PRE-CREATION 
>   docs/en-US/images/dvswitchconfig.png PRE-CREATION 
>   docs/en-US/vmware-cluster-config-dvswitch.xml PRE-CREATION 
>   docs/en-US/vmware-install.xml 467e135 
> 
> Diff: https://reviews.apache.org/r/10366/diff/
> 
> 
> Testing
> -------
> 
> Publican builds, patch applies.
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Radhika PC
> 
>


Mime
  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message