cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [MERGE] ASA 1000v as external firewall in isolated guest networks
Date Fri, 12 Apr 2013 13:55:33 GMT
On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 06:55:56PM +0530, Prasanna Santhanam wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 09:20:39AM -0400, Chip Childers wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 06:39:29AM +0000, Koushik Das wrote:
> > > Currently there are no functional tests, did e2e tests manually.
> > > There are some external setup that is required which then needs to be added
to Cloudstack like Nexus 1000v, VNMC, ASA 1000v appliance details. I don't see any existing
tests related to Vmware/Nexus stuff which I can reuse, so implementing all these steps would
need some time.

> > > So wanted to check if it is ok to merge now and add the functional tests subsequently?
> >
> > Before we merge it in, can we first discuss how we want to hand this
> > sort of thing?  It seems that at least a marvin test, not run by
> > default, would be helpful here.  Certainly documentation on how to setup
> > an environment to support the test is also needed.
> >
> > Do other's have thoughts on this?
>
> +1 - I can spare some hardware to host virtual instances of the ASA
> appliance. We do NetScaler VPXs in this fashion. But I'm not sure what
> kind of pre-programming will be required on the ASA to run the test.
> So some documentation would certainly help.

Koushik,

I think that it will require working with Prasanna to get a Marvin test
suite for the feature ready to go.  I'd personally like to see that
*prior* to the merge into master.  We need to "up our game" on automated
testing of new features, so that we stop digging ourselves deeper and
deeper into a hole.

-chip