cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <bhais...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CLOUDSTACK-1747: fresh deploydb bug in 4.1 requires cherry-pick commits from master
Date Thu, 21 Mar 2013 06:27:22 GMT
On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 1:54 AM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We had a discussion on irc.
>
> To implement something intermediary will be around the same effort as finishing the job
and there are various reasons why just running the create-schema.sql and update*.sql is not
enough.  So we should just decide on finishing the job in 4.1 or document the behavior.

> Any input on which way we should take.
>
> The engineer in me says just finish the job.  It's obviously working in dev setup on
master so the risk of this introducing bugs is very low.  If someone knows why it's difficult
to change in cloud-setup-databases script, please speak up.

Alex asks why it is difficult to change in cloud-setup-database script?

No difficulties really, I just lost passion, inspiration, motivation
to work on these pieces; I'm not a codemonkey I never wanted to work
on the devcloud, refactoring, systemvms, dbcreator but I did n't I do
a non-bad job? I could n't keep up with online and offline BS, I've
already resigned from Citrix and currently wrapping up work, working
with formalities, selling my stuff so I can pay back about "two months
salary" to the company due to their ridiculous policies as I'm leaving
before a year...

In future I would be a casual contributor, who may or may not work on
difficult pieces of CloudStack during his free time :P

Alex and others, jyfi the commit in DatabaseCreator that would apply
upgrade paths was introduced after the code freeze, before code freeze
it could just deploydb that's all.

So, I broke up the development in two phases, refer to the wiki please;

- For 4.1: we revert create-schema etc. so it's same as 4.0; the
upgrade paths would be applied by management server. It was a
non-issue.

- For 4.2: databasecreator would deploydb 4.0 schemas and apply
upgrade paths. CloudStack management server

It's fine for 4.1, unless we've community consensus to have the
discussed commits.

Regards.