cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: How do we handle updates to API documentation for existing
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 18:17:27 GMT
On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM, David Grizzanti
<david.grizzanti@sungard.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering how we handled updating existing API documentation for CloudStack versions
that are already out in the wild (i.e. 4.0.0)?

> There is an open bug for the createStoragePool API command documentation, however, I
believe it only applies to the 4.0.0 documentation as this point - 4.1 docs were updated and
due to the storage refactoring, master API command was changed/updated (API doc http://incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/docs/api/apidocs-4.0.0/root_admin/createStoragePool.html).
 CLOUDSTACK-1360 for reference.

> If this just follows the normal process, then I can submit a patch with a fix, but I
thought it was worth checking first.

So we create version-specific docs for each feature version.

so 4.0.x should have no API updates, so we should be able to generate
that at any time from the 4.0 branch.
4.1 will have API changes and will be a new set of documentation. (and
lives in the 4.1 branch. Etc ad infinitum)

So if the change needs to hit 4.0 it will likely need a slightly
different patch than 4.1 and forward.

--David