cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [Discuss] CloudStack Spins Project
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2013 13:49:41 GMT
On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM, Musayev, Ilya <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:
> Writing this email to get a feel of what community thinks of creating CloudStack spins.
Basically, in my case I have a need for some features that are in 4.2 master branch but are
not available in 4.1 code base.

> While I wholeheartedly agree with our process at the moment of having code freezes and
pushing the code that has not been committed into next release cycle, there are some major
features that are needed to speed up the adoption process of CloudStack.

> I also understand that we can't delay the release cycles because code X is not ready
to be committed. Unfortunately this is going to happen with every release and it's a part
of normal development cycle. To complement this issue, I propose running community lead spins.

> For example, I was able to port over the VmWare DVSwitch support from master to 4.1 code
base, I may need to port over additional VMware features like "full disk clone"  that are
in 4.2 master but won't be in 4.1.  I can only do what's needed in my environment and can't
really port features for other folks as I have no resources. Fortunately, my environment is
similar to many other corporate environments outthere and it will benefit many.

> The reason for this work is that we (as well as others I know), need  some features and
bug fixes now in order to deploy cloudstack and start using it in production - rather than
wait for 4.2 realese which will probably at best be out in 6 month or so.

> My intent is to share my codebase on github as well as provide RPMs on www.cloudsand.com
- the site I'm creating for my CS journey.

> *I will make it clear that CS community won't support you on the spins, as its not something
that is part of official release.*

> Curious if anyone on this list has a similar need and would like keep to join on cloudstack
spins project. If you have a similar need as I do, rather than working separately, we should
work as a team and share the  code base. The point of this project is to cherry pick immediate
features and bug fixes that are not in current release - but if ported over, will have significant
benefit to a community.

> Another reason for the spins is to release CS with specific bug fixes more frequently,
rather than have community wait for official update which is cumulative, but may take a while
to be released.

> Comments are welcome, I'm certain some will disagree with this approach, hence this effort
will probably be off this list.

I'm happy to see folks doing this with one caveat (actually, people
taking our code and doing things with it is a great thing IMO):

Calling it CloudStack will be confusing at best. I fear it will be
particularly painful come update time. Can I upgrade from
4.1.serverchief to 4.2? or even 4.1.securityfix? I'd at a minimum have
big disclaimers about that type of concern.

--David