cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Edison Su <Edison...@citrix.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] git rebase vs git merge in your feature branch?
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 23:36:06 GMT
Hi all,
     I am trying to review some feature branches, when I see merge requests coming from mailing
list, one thing that makes code review almost unrealistic is that, developers tend to use
"git merge" to master branch whenever rebase is needed. I don't know other people really do
review feature branch or not, if so, how to review a feature branch, with several "merge branch
"master""  on the feature branch. I really don't find a better way to do that.
    If, all we use "git rebase" to master branch, then the code review will be much easier,
at least, what kind of commits you did on the feature branch can be easily identified. For
example, I worked on storage_refactor branch for a few months, with a lot of changes, before
sending out merge request, there are only less than 10 commits on the branch, reviewer can
use "git diff since..HEAD" to get all the changes.
   Should we advocate "git rebase" in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git?