cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Huang <Alex.Hu...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS} API Throttling minimum number of calls per unit of time
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2013 01:56:22 GMT
This is something that everyone writing plugins should think about.

A component being enabled does not automatically mean that functionality being enabled.  Here,
API Throttling component is enabled/disabled through componentcontext.xml  but the behavior
of whether it should automatically default to setting a limit on api calls is a property of
the api throttling component and should not depend on api throttling component being enabled/disabled
to set that limit.

It's a tricky problem to see because the distinction seems to be so small.  You have to look
at it from the perspective of the people who touches cloudstack's code.

One type of people is the distributor of CloudStack code.  He comes in and says I understand
CloudStack and I pick the best components to deploy it with.  For example, they may choose
to put in a different api throttling component to package.  He's the person who changes componentContext.xml.

Another type of people is the deployer of CloudStack code, usually a system admin.  He takes
the package from distributor and says I read the documentation and I understand how to use
your cloudstack  as a package.  He's the person who configures CloudStack through configuration
variables.

Sometimes, these two people are the same person but when we write code we have to think of
them as separate people.  Therefore, api throttling component should default to not limiting
api calls should not rely on the api throttling component being disabled in componentscontext.xml
to achieve that functionality.  That's functionality that belongs to api throttling after
it is enabled.

Just think of the case of the deployer upgrading.  The distributor decided they want to add
this functionality to the release but why should the deployer know that he should disable
api throttling in componentscontext.xml?

--Alex