cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Donal Lafferty <donal.laffe...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Hyper-V Plugin & Microsoft Compiler & IP Clearance
Date Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:59:22 GMT

[Donal Lafferty]
Northwest Pacific :)
> if you were to use C# anyway why not consider using mono for your
> compiler/build infrastructure? While I would avoid mono and it would be
> difficult for folks to build/develop, if something could be done in C#, could n't
> it be done in Java, Scala or anything that could run on JVM? If this is possible,
> it will save us from nonoss, proprietary build/runtime dependency.
[Donal Lafferty]
It's a question of what environment is optimal for the ServerResource.  There is a lot more
material for writing a server resource in C# than there is for writing it in Java.

Moreover, the ServerResource concept of a plugin was introduced to allow developers a degree
of freedom in choosing the environment for code that controls data centre resource.  Adopting
platform-specific tools seems to flow naturally from this definition.  I guess you could call
this the multi-lingual plugin:  one where the ServerResource and ServerComponent are not homogenous.

What are the barriers to including 'multi-lingual plugins' in CloudStack?