cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sudha Ponnaganti <sudha.ponnaga...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [ACS41][QA] Bug fixing sprint?
Date Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:11:45 GMT
Chip,

+1 for bug sprint - However can this be extended to more of a week rather than a day because
3/22 is date to cut RC1 [1]. With the given outstanding number of defects, I am afraid it
would not be sufficient to close the release with decent quality in my opinion. Critical and
Blockers should be closed by them. We can look at the major and defer the ones that are not
necessary and the rest can be fixed. Within the next 10 days, I think that can be achieved.
 Also need to leave some room for incoming blockers.

For Master may be 1 day a week should be fine.

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/CloudStack+4.1+Release

Thanks
/Sudha

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2013 9:01 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: [ACS41][QA] Bug fixing sprint?

Hi all,

Last week, Sebastian raised the question of doing a bug sprint for 4.1.
I'd like to see what people think about doing something like a 1 day sprint on Tuesday of
next week.

I have a couple of concerns about doing this, which I'll explain below.
I'm not sure what the right answer is to addressing these concerns, but we need to at least
be aware of them:

1 - We will need to be very careful about 4.1 branch stability, especially build and unit
test stability.  Master has been having a rough time of it, and we don't have tooling in place
to ensure that commits are good before they go into the repo yet.

2 - Generally, I prefer to keep code "churn" to a minimum for release branches (i.e.: reduced
number of commits in the branch), specifically so that risk of regressions and / or new bugs
being introduced is limited.

However, the positive side of doing something like this would be to help knock down our total
bug count from it's rather high number.

We currently have a pretty high bug count for 4.1 (certainly not release quality yet):

8 Blocker
24 Critical
48 Major
23 Minor