cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Pranav Saxena <pranav.sax...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] UI user prompt redesign
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:40:04 GMT
So one way to think of this scenario is to have checkboxes corresponding to each of the global
variables . Checking/ Unchecking  them to select multiple items(global variables) together
and then have a global Save button where we pass the Id's for all the global variables selected
to the object responsible for saving the configuration and finally popping up a box which
displays that we need a management server restart.

The drawback of such a approach would be if the user has to change only a single global variable
which.

Regards,
Pranav

-----Original Message-----
From: Chip Childers [mailto:chip.childers@sungard.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 9:36 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] UI user prompt redesign

On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 02:22:42AM +0000, Parth Jagirdar wrote:
> This screen is more appropriate with case below.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12572013/global%20var
> .jpg

>From a user standpoint, I like your proposal Parth.  Any thoughts on the implementation?

> Thanks,
> .. Parth

and Y can be message that prompts user to restart the Management Server.

> If user changes 3 global variables he will be presented with 3 message boxes; all displaying
same message !

> See the reason for proposal here...   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12572005/msg%20box.jpg
>

> Proposal ::
>
> Approach (The most commonly found in UI based tools - But - Different than what we have
in place now) is to have only one "Save" button for group of actions that produce same message.

> Now 2 common Scenarios::
>
> Upon clicking "Save" button :: User changes gets realized and relevant message box is
presented.
> Due to fact that each web page has similar actions and thus have
> similar messages this makes life very easy. (Multiple global variables
> changed and only one box presented requesting to restart MS)
>
> Upon navigating away from page without clicking Save :: Present a warning and if accepted,
discard changes and continue with requested navigation; else ignore navigation request and
present user the same page and wait for user to click "Save" button or to perform another
action.
> (Repeat till either Save is clicked or user accepts warning)
>

> Current implementation:: We can see that small green "correct/right" ticker (Screen:
ticker) next to global variable input box as the Save button. Clicking which our changes gets
realized message pops up.

> But the problem with our current approach is of association.
>
> We have associated each message with each action. If we associate set of actions that
produce the same message; say the whole table that contains Global Variables and associate
only one Save (And in turn which results into associating only one message) with it then we
can achieve what I am trying to propose here.