cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] git rebase vs git merge in your feature branch?
Date Sun, 31 Mar 2013 10:54:48 GMT
Hi,

On 03/30/2013 10:03 PM, John Burwell wrote:
> Alex,
>
> It seems appropriate to me to use both rebase and squashed commits.
> To my way of thinking, we should rebase when syncing features branches
> with master (or the eventual target branch) to keep the revision
> history of the eventual patch as concise as possible.  We should merge
> from feature branches to master (or the appropriate target branch)
> using a squashed commit to properly record the history if adding the
> feature to the branch in a coherent manner.

+1, with the note that it might be useful to squash the feature branch
first to make life a bit easier.

So you don't get all these "short fix commits" in the master branch.

Features should be merged in cleanly so they can be traced back.

Wido

> Those are my thoughts,
> -John
>

> On Mar 30, 2013, at 11:21 AM, Alex Huang <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Dave and I have talked on IRC at one point about this.  We both thought feature branch
merges should come in as a squashed commit because it's easier to see exactly what the changes
that merge branch brought in were and easier to revert.  Something to consider when talking
about this.