cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] git rebase vs git merge in your feature branch?
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 10:00:15 GMT
Hi,

On 03/30/2013 12:36 AM, Edison Su wrote:
> Hi all,
>       I am trying to review some feature branches, when I see merge requests coming from
mailing list, one thing that makes code review almost unrealistic is that, developers tend
to use "git merge" to master branch whenever rebase is needed. I don't know other people really
do review feature branch or not, if so, how to review a feature branch, with several "merge
branch "master""  on the feature branch. I really don't find a better way to do that.
>      If, all we use "git rebase" to master branch, then the code review will be much
easier, at least, what kind of commits you did on the feature branch can be easily identified.
For example, I worked on storage_refactor branch for a few months, with a lot of changes,
before sending out merge request, there are only less than 10 commits on the branch, reviewer
can use "git diff since..HEAD" to get all the changes.
>     Should we advocate "git rebase" in https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CLOUDSTACK/Git?

Yes, I'd vote for rebase, a couple of reasons:
- You can track changes more easy
- The feature can be committed to master in one single patch

When stuff gets into master after a rebase in the feature branch (and
even a squash) you can see which feature came in with which commit.

A feature can be easily reverted, but also one patch can be reviewed to
verify if it's OK.

I just don't like merges, I think they make a mess of the repos.

Wido