cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Serge A. Salamanka" <salsa-...@tut.by>
Subject Re: Building on Cloudstack
Date Tue, 12 Mar 2013 12:34:08 GMT
On 06.03.2013 02:00, Alex Huang wrote:
> Serge,
>
> In CloudStack, you can control where VM's are deployed.
>
> If you don't want to do any programming, the easiest is to do host-tags and storage-tags
to control where vms run and their storage deployed.  However, that gives you very static
information.

> If you're fine with writing code, CloudStack offers three different types of plugins
to fine tune the placement.  You would write one of these plugins, change the componentcontext.xml
to use your implementation and you can control the placement of the VMs.

> - DeploymentPlanner: Called by CloudStack to find placement for VMs.
> - HostAllocator: Called by DeploymentPlanner to find a hypervisor host for VMs.
> - StoragePoolAllocator: Called by DeploymentPlanner to find storage for volumes.
>
> Generally, we advise that DeploymentPlanner should be used for heuristics and the allocators
are used for actual limitations of the hypervisor or storage.  For example, in your case,
you may want to write a service of your own to keep track of actual usage of cpu and peak
times and then use that information to feed it back to CloudStack via a SuperComputingDeploymentPlanner.

> It's a little hard to be clear without the specifics.  Let me know if you need more information.
>
> --Alex

Alex,
I cannot provide you specific information at the moment.
What you have just explained is probably good for one idea I have.
The idea is to add some functionality to the UNICORE Rich Client [1] for
creating HPC infrastructure in the Cloud which can be used for job
submition aftewards.

I will certainly come back to this if there is time. For now I want to
learn the process of creation and customization of system VMs to provide
some specific services to user created VMs in Cloud.

#Serge

[1] http://www.unicore.eu/unicore/architecture/client-layer.php#anchor_urc