cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [ACS41] Baremetal blockers - To remove Baremetal from UI
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 17:14:37 GMT
On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 10:06:26AM -0700, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2013, at 9:57 AM, "Chip Childers" <chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 09:50:38AM -0700, Animesh Chaturvedi wrote:
> >>

> >> Thanks
> >> Animesh

Config.java in property " hypervisor.list" and  is pulled from Database table "Configuration".

in Config.java will fix it for fresh installs. This will fix the fresh install but to fix
it for upgrade we need to fix the upgrade sql data files. I am not sure if we should fix this
I am not clear on  upgrade concerns? Alex/Chip any comments.

> >> Yes the Configuration database table has an attribute hypervisors.list and the
value for that attribute is comma separated list of supported hypervisors, and includes 'BareMetal'.
No Schema change is needed. Fix is to remove 'BareMetal' from attribute value.

> >> I do not have enough history to make a call how important is to fix it. The
fix is trivial.

> > OK, so it was in that table as part of the previous baremetal
> > "experimental" feature?
> Yes
> >
> > In that case, can I also assume that there's no impact to the data being
> > in the table?
>
> If we let 'BareMetal' in the table it will be returned in listHypervisors API call and
UI will show it in Add Cluster screen for upgrade from 4.0 -4.1

So what we are *REALLY* talking about here, is that an experimental
feature from past releases was modified for 4.1 but is broken completely
now.

IMO we need to do 2 things.  First, we *must* document that the
experimental feature from past releases is not in 4.1 in the release
notes.  Second, yes, we should remove it from the DB.

Basically, nobody is going to be able to use it if they install the
code, right?  So if they do use bare metal from a prior version, I
certainly hope that they don't upgrade to 4.1 (given the state of the
feature).

Anyone else have a thought?