cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prasanna Santhanam <...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] db changes on the 4.0.x release line
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:54:23 GMT
So this is broken off from the thread on Support Timelines for the
4.0.x group of releases:

The issue is regarding upgrades. With the introduction of the
DatabaseCreator I notice that we don't have to do any sort of changes
to the baseline schema of 4.0. This is a great improvement but it only
is enforced on the 4.1,4.2 etc releases.

We have the 4.0.x release line for 4.0.1, 4.0.2 etc. There currently
is no upgrade path from this release line to the 4.1,4.2 release line.
The 4.0 branch also uses the older way of doing schema changes
(create-schema.sql, upgradeXtoY.sql) which conflicts with the way the
DbCreator works. That will have problems in upgrades of deployments
going from 4.0.x-incubating to anything in 4.1,4.2.

How should this be tackled?

Since there have been few schema changes (only one) in
4.0.1-incubating it's probably best to port the DbCreator back to 4.0
as well? Rohit suggested that the 4.0 branch not add db changes but I
think it's better enforced than left as a rule.

Thoughts?

--
Prasanna.,