cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] UI user prompt redesign
Date Tue, 05 Mar 2013 16:05:47 GMT
On Tue, Mar 05, 2013 at 02:22:42AM +0000, Parth Jagirdar wrote:
> This screen is more appropriate with case below.
>
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12572013/global%20var.jpg

>From a user standpoint, I like your proposal Parth.  Any thoughts on the
implementation?

> Thanks,
> .. Parth

and Y can be message that prompts user to restart the Management Server.

> If user changes 3 global variables he will be presented with 3 message boxes; all displaying
same message !

> See the reason for proposal here...   https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12572005/msg%20box.jpg
>

> Proposal ::
>
> Approach (The most commonly found in UI based tools - But - Different than what we have
in place now) is to have only one "Save" button for group of actions that produce same message.

> Now 2 common Scenarios::
>
> Upon clicking "Save" button :: User changes gets realized and relevant message box is
presented.
> Due to fact that each web page has similar actions and thus have similar messages this
makes life very easy. (Multiple global variables changed and only one box presented requesting
to restart MS)

> Upon navigating away from page without clicking Save :: Present a warning and if accepted,
discard changes and continue with requested navigation; else ignore navigation request and
present user the same page and wait for user to click "Save" button or to perform another
action.
> (Repeat till either Save is clicked or user accepts warning)
>

> Current implementation:: We can see that small green "correct/right" ticker (Screen:
ticker) next to global variable input box as the Save button. Clicking which our changes gets
realized message pops up.

> But the problem with our current approach is of association.
>
> We have associated each message with each action. If we associate set of actions that
produce the same message; say the whole table that contains Global Variables and associate
only one Save (And in turn which results into associating only one message) with it then we
can achieve what I am trying to propose here.