cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Prashant Kumar Mishra <prashantkumar.mis...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Scaling up CPU and RAM for running VMs
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2013 11:46:19 GMT
Need  reply  to complete  my Test cases.

-----Original Message-----
From: Prashant Kumar Mishra [mailto:prashantkumar.mishra@citrix.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 12:26 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Cc: Nitin Mehta
Subject: RE: [DISCUSS] Scaling up CPU and RAM for running VMs

Hi Nitin,
I am planning to take the QA job for this feature. Have reviewed the functional spec, gone
through community discussion  and have the following questions

1-What is expected behavior of CS for Operating systems which do not support dynamic scaling
. ?

2-How much resources can be scaled up, is it limited by availability of resource on host .?

[Koushik Das ]
"Having a range for CPU/RAM in compute offering is definitely another way of doing it. But
creating the higher limit would be tricky. I am not sure if it is always known to users how
much they want to scale up to at the time of deploying VM. Moreover if the higher limit is
known then the VM can be deployed with that value itself. Also in case of having a range in
the offering the usage part needs to be handled appropriately. Currently usage is purely based
on the offering and individual values are not stored".
[/Koushik Das]

it seems  its totally depend on service offering , please correct me if I am wrong.

3-  Scheduled snapshot of volumes during the operation .

[NITIN]
For vmware, the entire vm is locked by HV and this can be an issue. I will leverage on current
implementations for existing interactions like scheduled snapshots events during live migration
and will replicate the same.
[/NITIN]

Can you elaborate what is expected in case of VMware .

4 - what is expected behavior in case of  powers off the vm during the operation .? is it
different for different hypervisors.?

5- what is expected in case of migration fails( In FS no description about this),
       -CS will  retry to migrate it again if yes how many time ?
      - will it mark as a failure and can't  scale up(even resources are available in cluster)
?

6- Apart from  "scaleVirtualMachine"    any other APIs are getting changed ?

7-Scale down is allowed ? (still open issue in FS)

8-Are we going to introduce custom compute offering (still open issue in FS) ?

9- what are the guide line for upgrade  ?

10-Any DB changes ?

11- which Usage events are getting introduced for billing .?

12-hypervisor support ,is it only for VMware (as per FS)  or its getting extended for XS/KVM
also ?

Thanks
Prashant Kumar Mishra