cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Bharat Kumar <bharat.ku...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: Regarding cpu and ram overcommit feature
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2013 06:17:20 GMT
Hi Hari,

This is the same as earlier . We use to set the reserved memory and the memory (i call this
max ) in case of vmware (we had the support for memory overcommit in vmware, it was not per
cluster basis.).

reserved memory = memory in the offering/overcommit ratio.
memory(max memory)= memory in the service offering.

Bharat.

On Feb 21, 2013, at 1:02 AM, Hari Kannan <hari.kannan@citrix.com> wrote:

> Hi Bharat,
>
> Sorry, I still don't understand - are you referring to the dynamic memory scale-up feature
on XS? I'm not aware of VMware requiring the setting of min/max ranges for memory for a VM
because of overcommit - can you please detail what the setting before this change was and
what you intend to do because of this feature?

> Hari

new settings for the memory and cpu while the VMs prior to the change will use the same settings.

> We are using memory ballooning which requires setting of the min and max ranges for memory
on a per VM basis.

> On Feb 19, 2013, at 9:49 PM, Hari Kannan <hari.kannan@citrix.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Bharat,
>>
>> Can you please respond on the mailing list?
>>
>> Hari

any impact on VMs? Is it hypervisor platform specific? Can you please provide an example of
before and after?

>> Hari

immediate affect on the VM already running.