cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Rohit Yadav <bhais...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ACS41] 4.1 branch created
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 01:03:06 GMT
On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:29 AM, David Nalley <david@gnsa.us> wrote:

> I've had some folks express interesting in setting up Gerrit for code reviews.
> That said - it's not like we can't review code that is already
> committed - we get commit mails after all. Gerrit just helps automate
> some of that.

David, sure we've a commits ML does not mean everyone is on it,
besides searching, commenting is not smooth. It's not a question of
"want" I think, we need a platform where we can discuss and share
code, i.e. a code reviewing platform. I researched few of the
opensource ones, I really want to setup phabricator (our own jzb's
review [1]), or gerrit or some code reviewing platform and enforce
that every commit that goes in, goes with some review. If ASF infra
can give me a VM, I can setup one that can be used by any project and
not just CloudStack (guide me setup I will). And if we have that, I
want us to enforce that no one commits on master (and select version
branches) without a code review so that at least one other person in
the community has carefully seen every single change. Sure, flame me
saying that it's an opensource project and everyone's contributing in
their free time so this won't work (yeah right like it's working so
well now).

[1] a review by our very own jzb;
http://readwrite.com/2011/09/28/a-look-at-phabricator-facebook

Regards.
PS. Let me too rant and explain my view of the world (my works my own,
lean more on semantics and not syntax); As an engineer who wants to
join the hacker club, I want to work on best stuff, with best people
and conquer those problem, puzzles with the best tools, best code,
best engineering practices. Sure I may have made few of you smile or
laugh, I think working with CloudStack's large codebase with diagonal
dependencies and a broad spectrum of computer science domains and
connecting dots between these components, layers and how this big
monolithic monster works is interesting enough. In last 6 months, I'm
sick of the non-issues, see a feature marathon "the quantity", I just
want us to focus on quality now, let's just aim next releases totally
on "the quality" and fix our coding practices, so I think we "need" a
code reviewing platform, gerrit, phabricator, reviewing on ML. I hate
the code bureaucracy,