cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Tutkowski <mike.tutkow...@solidfire.com>
Subject Re: Git Branching Question
Date Tue, 12 Feb 2013 22:11:25 GMT
It does mention pulling in the changes from the parent branch to your
branch, but that's what we want to do, right?

Looking at Figure 3-29, it appears that master is not impacted, but
experiment contains the changes from master.

If you wanted master to be equal to experiment, you could then do a merge.
 Otherwise, I think the next checkin to master will cause it to diverge
from experiment.

On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 3:05 PM, Will Stevens <wstevens@cloudops.com> wrote:

> "... pull in the changes FROM the parent branch into your branch..."
>

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 5:04 PM, Will Stevens <wstevens@cloudops.com>wrote:
>
>> Using rebase will change the parent branch to include the code from your
>> branch (Im pretty sure, please correct me if i am wrong).
>>
>> The method described in my post allows you to code your features in your
>> own branch (without modifying the parent branch), but still allows you to
>> pull in the changes to the parent branch into your branch periodically.
>>  Only once you have finished coding your feature will you want to push it
>> back to the parent branch.
>>
>> Does this make sense?
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 12, 2013 at 4:58 PM, Mike Tutkowski <
>> mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com> wrote:
>>
>>> They both look like legitimate ways of doing what I need to do.  Is
>>> there a standard way we do this on CloudStack or maybe it doesn't matter?

 Is that true?

your changes locally and

"git add" to
in what will be