cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Wido den Hollander <w...@widodh.nl>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Packaging in 4.1
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2013 10:33:08 GMT
On 02/04/2013 07:12 AM, Sudha Ponnaganti wrote:
> Wanted to check when would this be implemented?? Several QA folks depend on the packages
and need this working.
> We have been still building using waf but today that is also not working as some references
are removed.

> Is it possible to accelerate this process or leave old way of packaging in place till
you are done with the new changes

I fully understand. As I told David, I think the DEB work is about one
day of work, but then again, there is something like $dayjob.

What might be even tougher is to get the RPM and DEB packages fully
synced. cloudstack-common for example should contain exactly the same
files in the RPM and DEB version, so Hugo and I will have to keep in touch.

I really want to have the DEB packaging working this week, period.

Wido

> Thanks
> /sudha

artifact's dependencies, so in case of cli, you bundle both pygments and prettytable in cli's
rpm/deb. AFAIK all of them are pure python so easily installable. The cool people can use
pip to install.

>> And I really don't intend for this to sound like a rant, but the one
>> of the important benefits behind using packages and a package manager
>> is that a sysadmin needs (and often is required to have by government
>> regulations) a single source of truth about the software installed on
>> a machine.
>
> No, it's not a rant, I understand.
>
>> Developers love things like Maven central, pypi, CPAN, and rubygems,
>> and for good reason, they are fast, flexible, and make their life
>> easy. To a sysadmin managing machines in production, they are
>> anathema; they make system state difficult or impossible to determine,
>> they make audits painful.
>
> I just assumed the sysadmin who would install CloudStack, cli and whatnot won't be stupid,
at the same time I want his life to be less miserable.

>> In addition they make troubleshooting
>> incredibly difficult. Do I have $foo installed - which version? Are
>> there multiple copies of $foo installed on the system? Which one is
>> actually being called/loaded?
>
> Alright, but I'm talking only about the cli, since most users, admins included, would
want it to run on their machines, the installation should be easiest, that's why I said they
can use pip, so it works on their windows, osx, linux, bsd boxes and that's why it's pure
python (written that way).