cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chandan Purushothama <Chandan.Purushoth...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: Building SystemVM template appliance
Date Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:01:56 GMT
Hello Rohit,

Should the procedure of Building the SystemVM template appliance be tested? Or Should the
templates produced at the end be tested for their functionality? I referred to your blog and
found information pertaining to challenges that you faced during building the template but
didn't find information pertaining to procedure. May I know the location where I can find
documentation pertaining to the procedure and what needs to be tested as a QA effort?

Thank you,
Chandan.

-----Original Message-----
From: rohityadav89@gmail.com [mailto:rohityadav89@gmail.com] On Behalf Of Rohit Yadav
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 2:31 AM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Building SystemVM template appliance

On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM, Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vittal@citrix.com> wrote:
> Hi Rohit
>

>>> Are the format conversions automated?
>>
>>They are now! The file name format is:
>>$appliance-$build_date-$branch-hyperv.$format
>>Format conversion and archiving is automated on a large instance with
>>export formats:
>>ova -> vmware
>>vhd -> xen
>>qcow2 -> kvm
>>vhd -> hyperv
>>
>>Build job:
>>http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/view/All/job/build-systemvm-master
>>
>>But I'm yet to try one of xen or kvm templates. The bugs would be
>>mostly fixable in postinstall.sh
>>
>>For exporting xen images from raw image, I had to build xen (for a
>>library) and vhd-util from blktap2/tools. Will post a blog on that
>>exercise.
>
> I used to use a patch from the Xen ML to enable vhd-util to do
> conversions, but IIRC this has been merged into master. If others
> (outside of the build server) want to use vhd-util what are their options?
>

>>I've fixed the partition as regular one with different partitions for
>>/var, /opt, /usr, /tmp, /boot, /home, please see the partitions sizes,
>>advise if we want to change them: (syntax: min. size, priority, max.
>>size)
>>https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=incubator-cloudstack.git;a=c
>>ommi t;h=ab63a433ecbf60e18ad6cbcb0353c61fa432bcdc
>
> Looks good. Glad to see swap space. Have dealt with a few OOMs when
> the system vm was FC8 and did not have swap.
>

>>Chiradeep, we can copy stuff inside the appliance using veewee vbox
>>ssh <command> or scping before we halt using veewee vbox halt
>><machine>. How do you want to use the config.dat,
>
> We should not need config.dat now that the debconf-set-selections
> trick is used.

First automated build (the whole rvm non-interactive non-login shell issue took me a lot of
time to figure out, the bug at jenkins was that $HOME was not defined for rvm):
http://jenkins.cloudstack.org/job/build-systemvm-master/47/console

Archived appliances:
http://people.apache.org/~bhaisaab/systemvm

Blog:
http://rohityadav.in/logs/building-systemvms/

Now, all we need to do is test them against real hosts and fix any post installation scripts,
network conf.

Regards.