cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [MERGE] UI plugin framework
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 20:51:51 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:41:00AM -0800, Brian Federle wrote:
> Chip,
>
> First off, I apologize for not seeing your e-mail. I waited ~24hrs with only one response,
and unfortunately I missed your post when I already merged to master. I think I forgot to
read the full thread of what I was responding to there, so I'll be more careful in the future.

> However, there really needs to be more clarification about the merging procedure/protocol.
I thought that waiting a day would be sufficient, and considering the lack of responses (and
the one positive from Rohit) I read that as an OK to proceed the push. Despite this, I can't
effectively follow proper procedure by sifting through hundreds of mails in the list to try
and figure out what everyone else is doing. Can we please have a wiki page setup with clear
instructions? I'm really not trying to break any rules, but I'm sort of in the dark here and
still need to get the features I'm working on out in a timely manner.

> Let me hear your thoughts -- I just really need clarification here.
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

So you are the second person to ask for us to have a "formal merge
process" documented.  I'll take a crack at it in the next few days, and
would welcome help in getting it in shape to reflect consensus on the
topic.  I'd actually ask for you to pay attention for that thread.  I
think that the UI layer will have some slightly different implementation
specifics for things line ensuring tests are good before a merge.
Looking forward to getting your thoughts...

As for missing my email, I know you didn't mean it.  I agree that the
list is high volume, I was just frustrated because I believe that our
first principle for code changes should be "do no harm to master".
To me, that means not rushing to push changes, and being careful about
how they are discussed and consensus is reached.  Given the time and a
clean diff, I might have even caught the require.js licensing issue in
a review as well, saving us from having a broken build  (or I might not
have).

So moving on from this, I have to say that I love the feature.  This is
going to be a great addition to CloudStack's capabilities!

-chip