cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Google Summer of Code?
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2013 15:42:31 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 02:35:02PM +0530, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> In my past experience the role of project admin for GSoC project would
> be the most challenging.
> To get started we need to setup a wiki page explaining how we want to
> define our participation, what are the rules for students to submit
> their applications. For example it's a very common practice that every
> participating student should submit some patch or do some work as a
> qualification task. Another important important task is to evangelize
> the project among students so they know CloudStack exists. For
> example, we tried to do one for VLMC [1] (but failed to attract any
> student). Lastly, every participating project gets no. of slots (no.
> of students that project can have) which is proportional to no. of
> application (more of less) that project gets. After getting selected
> as a project and getting no. of slots it's up to the project admin to
> select proposed project/student and their mentor.
>
> If we serious, we can get started by evangelizing our project and work
> on a wiki on which we propose certain ideas and mentors, but students
> would actually propose their ideas [1].
>
> [1] http://wiki.videolan.org/SoC_2012#VLMC
>
> Regards.
>
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 2:04 PM, Nitin Mehta <Nitin.Mehta@citrix.com> wrote:
> > +1.
> > I would love to participate as well.

> >>+1 I want to help.
> >>
> >>Regards.

It sounds like there are at least three potential mentors willing to
help.  Rohit or Joe, do you want to follow up with the dev@community
list to see if ASF is going to try to participate this year?  Perhaps
they will at a top level, and we can be part of that?  In fact, we
probably can only do it if the ASF does it as an org.

-chip