cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Packaging in 4.1
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2013 16:50:34 GMT
On Wed, Feb 06, 2013 at 10:05:00PM +0530, Pradeep Soundararajan wrote:
> Wido, how are we planning to setup the install for this new packaging concept?

Well, first, Apache CloudStack only releases source code.

But Wido is kind enough to also host RPM / DEB package repos for users
to take advantage of.  Our install guide explains how to build from
source, as well as how to use Wido's repos.

This was all true for 4.0.0-incubating, and I think it still holds true
for all future releases.

> Thanks,
> Pradeep S

in the package.sh script since cloud.spec is looking for 'cloudstack' Name.

> >> --- -mkdir -p $RPMDIR/SOURCES/cloud-$VERSION
> >> +mkdir -p $RPMDIR/SOURCES/cloudstack-$VERSION
> >>

> >> -(cd ../../; tar -c --exclude .git --exclude dist  .  | tar -C
> >> $RPMDIR/SOURCES/cloud-$VERSION -x ) -(cd $RPMDIR/SOURCES/; tar -czf
> >> cloud-$VERSION.tgz cloud-$VERSION)
> >> +(cd ../../; tar -c --exclude .git --exclude dist  .  | tar -C
> >> +$RPMDIR/SOURCES/cloudstack-$VERSION -x ) (cd $RPMDIR/SOURCES/; tar
> >> +-czf cloudstack-$VERSION.tgz cloudstack-$VERSION)
> >> ----
> >>
> >> Packaging went fine after the above modification but I have observed some issues
while installing the package.  I believe you have changed the installation path from */cloud/*
to */cloudstack/* and also observed you have changed all the rpm names from cloud* to cloudstack*.
 If that is a situation then I feel we cannot upgrade from 4.0 since they were pointing to
different rpm names and they were loaded in a different location.  I feel,  this would raise
lot of compatibility issues here and there.

> >> Noticed you have changed cloud-client to cloudstack-management. I feel, we have
to modify install.sh script accordingly in order to satisfy all the changed conditions.