cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From John Burwell <jburw...@basho.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Supported Java version
Date Tue, 26 Feb 2013 20:11:56 GMT
Alex,

Putting on my systems administrator hat, I consider security updates a significant, if not,
vital feature.  Since Oracle will cease issuing security updates for Java6 at the end of this
month (February 2013), I think support for Java7 becomes compelling if not mandatory.  Since
we will not officially support Java7 in 4.1, our users be forced to run on an unsupported
JRE for 4-6 months.  The question to my mind is not whether or not Java7 is supported in the
next major release (with Java6 deprecated), but can we provide a remediation sooner that would
allow our users to run on a supported JRE?

Thanks,
-John

On Feb 26, 2013, at 2:55 PM, Alex Huang <alex.huang@citrix.com> wrote:

> I apologize for this.  I really meant popular distro versions instead of "new".
>
> We have to consider existing CloudStack users here.  They may want to update CloudStack
but have an existing OS deployment that they're perfectly fine with and updating it means
more complications in the upgrade process and longer downtime.  I don't think we can cease
support for 6 that quickly.

> In my previous work, support for an older Java version generally ceases only when the
newer Java version has features that we really want to use.  For example, generics or annotations.
 Is there anything Java 7 that we really need to use in CloudStack?