cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Brockmeier <...@zonker.net>
Subject Follow-up: Re: [DISCUSS] Google Summer of Code?
Date Fri, 15 Feb 2013 16:57:10 GMT
On Thu, Feb 14, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Rohit Yadav wrote:
> Hi Joe, can you take this one? I think I've seen Hadoop, Apache and
> different projects participating differently and ASF as well in the
> past. Just to inform I may be mentoring another project [1], but
> anyway would help all.

Just following up on this:

We don't need to apply separately to GSoC, the ASF joins as one org -
then projects within the ASF propose projects.

Here's what Ross Gardler said when I asked on dev@community.apache.org:

"Yes you wait. We apply as a foundation.

The sooner your project starts identifying project opportunities and
discussing it on the lists the sooner potential students can start to
engage with you. No need to wait for formal acceptance of the org, but
don't make any promises to anyone.

There  isn't a restriction on incubator projects, but the evaluation
criteria tend to make it more difficult for early satage incubator
projects
to get students. That said, if there is genuine and healthy community
support of GSoC there are no real barriers."

###

So - any project opportunities would need to be paired with one or more
mentors, which really should be developers who will work closely with a
student as they work on a project. So if any of the folks have projects
in mind, please feel free to bring them up.

Best,

jzb
--
Joe Brockmeier