cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From "Musayev, Ilya" <imusa...@webmd.net>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Thu, 10 Jan 2013 19:16:59 GMT
Noa,

We can roll system-vms as part of build process relying on packages OS repo provides.

As of now, for sys-vms it means - replace oracle java with openjdk. From what I see - that's
the only blocker.

Regards
ilya

-----Original Message-----
From: Noa Resare [mailto:noa@spotify.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2013 1:59 PM
To: cloudstack-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?

Intersting thoughts.

I would imaging the main blockers from getting from our current state into a state where we
could be included in the free software oriented distributions is the fact that we depend on
some binary artifacts for dependencies as well as the systemvms. For the projects I have some
insight into (Debian, Fedora and to a small extent Ubuntu) depending on binaries for compilation
and dependencies is a no-no. (For good reasons, I might add)

I think the way forward is to improve our packaging and keep an eye out for alternative ways
of handling the fetching of dependencies.

I think that we can improve distribution support a lot without being included in the upstream
distributions.

/noa

--
Engineering Experience, Infrastructure tribe, Spotify