cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sebastien Goasguen <run...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: inconsistent docs in wiki for maven build and devcloud
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 23:04:44 GMT

On Jan 30, 2013, at 8:24 PM, Rohit Yadav <bhaisaab@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I noticed some inconsistent documentation on how to build from source, as well as
multiple devcloud pages that use different profiles and properties.

>> namely:
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/devcloud-kvm.html
>
> This is for DevCloud-KVM (I would recommend for test automation).
>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/devcloud.html
>
> This is for DevCloud (VirtualBox) (recommended offline
> infra/host/storage dev appliance for developers).
>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/cloudstack-devcloud-environment-setup.html
> This can be removed, any useful content should be moved to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/devcloud.html
>
>> http://wiki.cloudstack.org/display/COMM/DevCloud
> Useful stuff should be moved to
> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/devcloud.html
> wiki.cloudstack.org is deprecated now.
>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/CLOUDSTACK/diy-devcloud-setup.html (is pre maven)
> We can get rid of this one.
>

>> systemvm was not a profile before, seems to have been made into a profile and now
is a "property"

>> I do this on my laptop (running mgt server and db there):
>> mvn -Pdeveloper clean install -DskipTests -Dsystemvm
>
> Should be:
> mvn clean install -P systemvm,developer -DskipTests (# if skipping tests)

I get a missing profile with systemvm, I have to use -Dsystemvm ?????

>> mvn -pl developer,tools/devcloud -Ddeploydb -P developer
>> mvn -pl client jetty:run
>>
>> The configure devcloud with:
>> mvn -P developer -pl tools/devcloud -Ddeploysvr
>>
>> This results in systemvm not starting. No errors in logs.
>
> Hope you're running latest DevCloud and running mgmt server on host
> os/laptop, else you should use marvin directly instead of maven
> calling marvin to deploy datacenter for you:

yes devcloud2, running mgt server on laptop..

> cd tools/devcloud;
> # If mgmt server running on host os 192.168.56.1:
> python ../marvin/marvin/deployDataCenter.py -i devcloud.cfg

laptop set as 192.168.56.1 via vbox host only interface
devcloud2 192.168.56.10

did not modify tools/devcloud/devcloud.cfg

I must have forgotten a step somewhere...

> # If mgmt server running inside devcloud, 192.168.56.10:
> # make sure to change host value to 192.168.56.10 in devcloud.sql
> before you deplodyb
> python ../marvin/marvin/deployDataCenter.py -i devcloud_internal-mgt.cfg
>

>> What's the proper way to build from source for devcloud ?
>
> What I explained in my blog was manual creation for most part, we have
> some stuff in tools/devcloud which is supposed to build devcloud using
> viewee/vagrant/vbox here: (it's not maintained for long, it may not
> work now, will check next week):
> tools/devcloud/README.md

I mean that the systemvm profile is a bit new. Early compile from source did not have this
profile.
Then it seems to have been changed from a -P systemvm to a -D systemvm…so I am confused.