cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Kelven Yang <kelven.y...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [MERGE] Merge Javelin branch into master
Date Sat, 05 Jan 2013 00:15:41 GMT

On 1/4/13 3:51 PM, "Alex Huang" <Alex.Huang@citrix.com> wrote:

>I propose that we use the MERGE tag for any branch merging.  I've changed
>this subject as such.
>
>Chip also raised some issues in another thread.  Let's try to merge them
>on to this discussion.  Please raise again if this doesn't answer your
>questions.
>
>I like to add some things to what Kelven has talked about here.
>
>- Item 1 touch a great deal of of CloudStack 4.0 code but problems will
>rise very quickly and the fixes should be small.  Basically if the server
>can't come up during our test, this doesn't work.  So we will make sure
>that server is up and running the automated tests before merging.

Yes. We've mocked the same semantics on @DB and Adapters<T> injection with
Spring(these two are the only ones that affect us from a direct drop-in
for Spring), if it works in one place, it should work for all. The
equivalent functionalities will be validated by automated tests.

>- For items 2, 3, 4, we were worried about the effect extended changes
>would have on the CloudStack 4.0 code so what we've done are as follows:
>	- A new set of subdirectories:
>		- framework - for any work in ipc/jobs/event notification.
>		- engine - for any work in storage refactoring and vm orchestration
>refactoring
>		- services - for any services build on top of framework and engine but
>currently there are none.
>	- We have minimized changes in the CloudStack 4.0 code to appropriately
>call out to engine libraries but no in place changes to logic.  For
>example, none of the old code has been changed to use the new ipc
>mechanism.
>	- The code changes in engine have their own unit tests.  I will let
>Edison and Prachi talk about that.  Until the unit tests have worked out,
>we do not swap out code from the CloudStack 4.0 code.
>
>For the merge, we will do the following:
>- Wait for the api-refactoring merge.
>- Pull in all master changes and make sure the unit tests are all running
>or have been appropriately changed to run.
>- Make sure automated testing is running against the new server.
>- Merge back into master.

Will do the merge after api-refactoring merge