cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Chiradeep Vittal <Chiradeep.Vit...@citrix.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Affinity / Anti-affinity Rules
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 02:05:31 GMT
Actually the proposal is quite vague.
What does affinity mean to the end-user?
What guarantees are being asked for?
 - the vms are on the same hypervisor (affinity)
 - the vms are not on the same hypervisor (anti)
 - the vms are interconnected by a high-speed interconnect (affinity)
 - the vms are in different failure domains (host/cluster/pod)

I find the concept of affinity groups useful.
A possible workflow would be
1. Create an affinity group of type 'Foo'
1a. Group type indicates the guarantee
2. Create a VM in the group

VMs can only leave groups on vm destruction.

But without the specific type of guarantee, it is hard to discuss this
proposal.