cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Kelly Hair <ke...@routerlab.net>
Subject Re: CloudStack VS OpenStack - stack wars
Date Wed, 23 Jan 2013 23:23:15 GMT
Ilya,

A couple of links that may help from a recent article:

http://www.cio.com/article/725641/Open_Source_Cloud_Battles_Openstack_Leveling_Off_as_Cloudstack_Interest_Gains

and.. the article referenced above with some data behind it is:
http://www.qyjohn.net/?p=2733

Regards,
Kelly

PS/disclaimer - I head up NE cloud development for Citrix so feel free
to reach out to me @ kelly.hair@citrix.com if you need support,
indemnification or any other items as part of your justification.

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM, Clayton Weise <cweise@iswest.net> wrote:
> One last thing which is that of maturity.  Although the name "CloudStack" is fairly new
the project has been around for quite a bit more time than OpenStack but just under the name
VMOps and then cloud.com before being acquired by Citrix and then eventually becoming Apache
CloudStack.

so one would need to check this):
> http://www.wired.com/insights/2011/09/hp-launches-cloud-beta-dell-warns-them-on-openstack-dont-fork-it-up/
>
> -And the gartner "warning":
> http://www.gartner.com/technology/reprints.do?id=1-1C3IGID&ct=120919&st=sb
>
> Other than that, I think the best thing to do is a 2 weeks bake off at your company to
evaluate what works best for your local constraints.

> -Sebastien
>

> On Jan 23, 2013, at 1:35 AM, "Musayev, Ilya" <imusayev@webmd.net> wrote:
>
>> So would like to start by saying - I'm all for CS - I really like the community,
what it offers and simplicity.

>> With that in mind, I need help defending CloudStack vs OpenStack to my management
team.

>> Basically I was approached by management team saying they attended an executive meeting
and there is a much greater adoption/usage rate for openstack vs cloudstack. I don't want
to mention the numbers - but they are very significant. As a point of comparison, just go
to any job site (I used linkedin job search feature) and use look for number of current opening
for cloudstack and then openstack.