cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CloudStack Storage Question
Date Mon, 14 Jan 2013 04:03:49 GMT
>From your description it sounds like you're asking if a VM can have
multiple disks. It can, the current model is 1 root disk (created from the
template you choose) and then N number of data disks (is there a limit?).
So you could create a new volume, attach it to an existing VM, and that VM
would see it as a second disk, could format, mount it, and use it for
example as database or backup space, or for /home or whatever.
On Jan 13, 2013 8:56 PM, "Mike Tutkowski" <mike.tutkowski@solidfire.com>
wrote:

> Another thing I was curious about (and perhaps someone on this list can
> answer) is if, say, Xen is running one VM from one virtual volume (equal to
> a LUN, in this scenario), can an app running in this VM access a data
> volume from a different virtual volume?
>
> So, the VM is running off of one virtual volume and the VM has access to
> another virtual volume that one of its apps is using?
>
> Does CloudStack support this model?
>
> What this question comes down to is my company, SolidFire, offers a
> sophisticated feature called hard quality of service.  One a
> volume-by-volume basis (which we think of as being equal to a LUN), you
> "dial in" the performance (IOPS) you need for the volume in question (not
> "high, medium, and low," but the actual max and min IOPS).
>
> I'm under the impression CloudStack is not exactly geared up at the moment
> to support such a model.  Is that a true assessment?
>
> Thanks!
>

> On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 11:02 AM, Sebastien Goasguen <runseb@gmail.com
> >wrote:

> block
> > particular
> > it at
> filesystem.

> > and
> > works,

> > with Xen ?
> > >>

> > > I've been trying to convince the people from Xen to implement RBD into
> > the blktap driver, but that hasn't been done.
> > >
> > > The people from Ceph also have had some conversations with Citrix, but
> > so far nothing has come out of it.
> > >
> > > KVM seems to be the winner here if it comes down to distributed storage
> > since it's open source and stuff can be implemented very quickly.
> > >
> > > If we want to get this into Xen, it's up to Citrix to implement it.
> They
> > just might need a little extra push.
> > >
> > > If Citrix gets RBD into blktap, I'll make sure CloudStack knows how to
> > work with it :)
> >
> > I will ping some of the xen open source developers I know.
> >
> > Any of you guys know of a good presentation on cloudstack storage
> support ?
> >
> > We have lots of things like caringo, swift, gluster etc…that don't seem
> > be very well documented. Is there an exhaustive list and some
> documentation
> > somewhere ?
> >
> > thanks
> >

> > > Wido