cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Marcus Sorensen <shadow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Shared NFS Zone-wide (primary) Block Storage
Date Thu, 03 Jan 2013 21:06:46 GMT
Clusters still work to segment which compute the VMs run on, and can do
tags or other networking related segmentation.

I can understand this for something like RBD, you could have all of your
clusters backed by the same Ceph cluster. But even then I think it makes
more sense to define primary storage per-cluster, even if you define the
same primary storage for multiple clusters. Unless we're just saying we
want the ability to do away with clusters altogether and just have a giant
pool of compute and storage. If people want that they can do it with a
single, large cluster. Ultimately, even if I were using the same primary
storage SAN, distributed object store, etc for multiple clusters, it scales
better to partition them into separate buckets/diskarrays/whatever.

I don't know, I can see what it's trying to accomplish, but I'm not
necessarily sold on the utility or that it can't already be done in a
reasonable fashion without breaking the primarypool/cluster relationship.