cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [MERGE][ACS41] javelin to master
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2013 16:07:40 GMT
On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:24 AM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 10:17 AM, John Burwell <jburwell@basho.com> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I echo Marcus' concerns regarding the timing of such a "high touch" change landing
in master.  We are two days before code freeze.  What 4.1.0 features/capabilities are gained
by merging javelin?  Can someone speak to the regression test strategy that has been employed
to verify the stability of the changes?

>> I proposed 2pm today (28 Jan 2013) [1] to meet on #cloudstack-meeting to continue
our storage design conversation.

> Alex - Is it more logical to merge into master after we cut the 4.1 branch?

I know this is with the benefit of hindsight - but I suspect that
massive changes that impact large swaths of getting things done should
land VERY early in the release cycle....otherwise they begin causing
other people provlems. We've seen this with a number of different
merges this cycle. Contributors essentially not knowing where to work,
or being told that their work conflicts with work that is about to be
merged (which isn't very welcoming or productive), or having to wait.

Perhaps in future schedules we'd have a window at the very beginning
of the cycle for such massive changes, so that individual feature work
can continue unabated up until freeze.

Obviously that doesn't answer the question for this release, and I
think John's question is a good one. What benefits does 4.1 accrue
from landing javelin at this point? Obviously after code freeze no new
features get to make it in, so from a feature standpoint, if it isn't
directly enabled or can be within one day, I am not sure what the
point is.

--David