cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: Redistributing 3rd party code licensed under Apache License 2.0
Date Thu, 31 Jan 2013 05:35:26 GMT
On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 7:19 PM, Donal Lafferty
<donal.lafferty@citrix.com> wrote:
> I have a specific question on incorporating existing code under Apache License 2.0 that
I forgot to ask earlier in the month.

> My Hyper-V plugin calls down to modified versions of the OpenStack Nova driver for Hyper-V.
>
> In my repo, I've:
>
> 1.       Retained the original copyright notice.
>
> 2.       Added an additional copyright notice mentioning the creator of the derivate
work, which in this case is Citrix.

> 3.       Verified that OpenStack Nova's LICENSE is Apache License V2.0
>
> Are these steps sufficient to add the code to Apache CloudStack?
>
> E.g. does Apache Version 2.0 require that the original project be mentioned in our NOTICE
file?

sigh (and despite my sigh - thanks for bringing the issue up on the
list, it would have been bad to find this out on review)
This is effectively third party code, if you are actually including it
(as opposed to it being a dependency) it needs to go through IP
Clearance as well as be noted in our legal docs.

--David