cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Getting CloudStack into the linux distros?
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2013 20:03:00 GMT
On Fri, Jan 11, 2013 at 2:58 PM, Rohit Yadav <rohit.yadav@citrix.com> wrote:
> I think we should release source tarballs and compiled binaries/artifact tarballs (a
lot of asf projects have downloaded precompiled tarballs of their artifacts, for ex. maven)
as well and leave it to packaging people (specific to a distro) how they want to work with
those.

> Another idea that comes to my mind is why is it necessary to create distro specific package?
While they are certainly easy to work with, why not have a tarball that say extracts to /opt
and works right away. This kind of packaging will have all the scripts and files in its own
directory like /opt/cloudstack/{bin,doc,lib,etc}. What I'm suggesting is that we publish this
kind of distro and os independent binary packaging and let distro specific package maintainers
decide how they want to package cloudstack.

> Regards.

Location of things we depend on, differences in init systems, there is
too much shell script in CS to work that way, particularly for things
like the KVM agent.

--David