cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Sheng Yang <sh...@yasker.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Email etiquette CC or not CC
Date Thu, 17 Jan 2013 23:01:18 GMT
On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:57 PM, Chip Childers
<chip.childers@sungard.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Edison Su <Edison.su@citrix.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>      I am struggling to read all the emails on dev list everyday, it's just so many
emails. Is it possible, that enable/allow/encourage us CC  to somebody if you think the topic
he/she should take a look at? I think it will save both of us a lot of time.

> Edison,
>
> I'm fine with CC'ing someone specific when I know that I need their
> attention, but two caveats that I'm worried about are:
>
> 1 - I find myself often needing the whole community's attention, for
> VOTE threads or release planning updates, etc...  I struggle to
> understand how folks want to see this.  I thought that VOTE and ACS41
> would be sufficient headers for people to actually pay attention to,
> but it appears to not be working.

I believe the header should be sufficient in the most case, and that's
exactly what's mostly other community did. But as you feel that it's
not working well, that's probably means, people are lazy, in
nature(though I think it's may be improved with CC'ing someone
directly, but this should not be an issue even with our current
mailing list policy).

> 2 - If someone starts a thread, I would expect that they would
> actually pay attention to that thread!  I've seen times when people
> start a thread, but don't respond to queries from others in the
> community.  This is especially vexing when the thread is about a work
> that's in progress.

That's exactly what we want to address. People are not intently drop
the thread, most of time, they just forgot.

If you start e.g. 5 threads in a day, you maybe miss one or two of
them in the next day. Or you start a thread one week ago but only got
response 1 week later, you also may be miss it completely. And I
personally feel even I am intently to find back my thread, it would
take 10s even 30s to find my thread - it's very possible I missed it
when skim for the first time, then realize where is that thread? Then
check back again(that's what's happened to me this morning). That's
very annoying. I suppose we would deal with the mailing list based on
a priority, even we would skim them all. Of course on the top of
priority list is the threads I involved. But I cannot tell which one
it is with a glimpse in tens even hundreds of mails. What's we want,
is we can pay attention to our threads easily.

LKML received hundreds of mail every day, I cannot image how can Linus
Torvalds or Andrew Morton survive if the mail is only sent to mailing
list, and they have to go through all the mails to find out which one
got their attention yesterday(though I also believe they got tons of
CC or TO mails as well).

--Sheng