cloudstack-dev mailing list archives

From Edison Su <Edison...@citrix.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] Zone-wide primary storage target
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2013 00:20:55 GMT
Don't get things tooo complicated, let's make the simple thing work:
One hypervisor in one zone, with one or multiple zone-wide primary storages. Without any special
configurations, NFS/ceph + KVM can work under this configuration.
If there are storage providers which can provide per volume per ISCSI LUN in a scalable way,
then XS/KVM can work under this configuration.  E.g. for Xs, each volume will become a SR,
XS should support it? So we can add two hypervisors in one zone, with multiple zone-wide storages.
I heard of that, vmware has the limitation on how many data stores can be attached to a vcenter.
If that's the case, then we may have problems to support this feature for VMware.
Then, if admin just adds a Vmware cluster and kvm/XS cluster into one zone, with both cluster-wide
and zone-wide primary storages, what can we do?
1. If the storage allocator is smart enough, which helps to choose the right storage to create
volume in different situations. For example, the storage allocator should know, oh, I can't
create volume on a zone-wide storage, if the hypervisor host is vmware etc.
2. or, admin is smart enough, which can tag the storages differently. E.g. VM created on Vmware
cluster can only be created on a storage tagged by "vmware", if the disk offering has "vmware"
 Tag, while VM created on KVM/XS, can be created on storages which has "zone-wide" tag, etc.